Thursday, February 24, 2011

Top Movies Based on Books




Every time I hear of a new movie coming out based on a popular book, I instantly hear people complaining about a "lack of creativity in Hollywood". The same voices say "why not write something original". I think these screenwriters that adapt novels into movies are gifted at least!





Why?





Some of the greatest movies in the history of film were adapted from classic books. I can't imagine what the world of film would look like today if those books never existed in the firs place. Here are some of my favorite movies based on books:





THE NOTEBOOK





This movie focuses on an old man reading a story to an old woman in a nursing home. The story he reads follows two young lovers named Allie Hamilton and Noah Calhoun, who meet one evening at a carnival.





I can honestly say that I have watched it over 10 times and I have cried every single time .





The movie was based on "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks - a short novel, so you could read it in one day if you had time.





THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION





After the murder of his wife, hotshot banker Andrew Dufresne is sent to Shawshank Prison, where the usual unpleasantness occurs. Over the years, he retains hope and eventually gains the respect of his fellow inmates, especially longtime convict "Red" Redding, a black marketeer, and becomes influential within the prison. Eventually, Andrew achieves his ends on his own terms.





I love this movie so much because the story is my favorite Stephen King short story ever. I felt they did a great job in staying true to the plot and storyline - it was almost as I had imagined it would be when reading. The movie was tremendous.


No comments:

Post a Comment